Sunday 25 May 2014

Universal principles for stepping up to the edge

...as adapted and adopted from the work of Baron Baptiste.

Note; stepping up to the edge refers to moments of difficulty in our lives. These principles can help the mind like a map for those lost on the road. Guidance. These don’t resonate with everyone and not all with me yet. Perhaps in time when I am ready.

Principle 1: We are either now here or nowhere: All life happens in the present moment, right here, right now, in front of us. Any moment that has happened in the past is a memory, and any moment that will happen in the future is a fantasy. Both can be very nice but they lead us nowhere except into the past which no longer exists, or the future which does not yet exist.

For me this is apparent in my fears as posted in a previous entry. They are things I worry about happening in the future. I think that the future will take care of itself and I need to be concerned only with the now in my training.

Principle 2: Be in the here and now: Essentially stay focussed and listen to your body. In wing chun and combat we listen to what energy our opponent is giving us be that physical or mental. If we have tension then it will be harder to listen and thus tense and therefore working a much lower and ineffective level.
Principle 3: Growth is the most important thing there is: For me, before I read this book, I entitled the blog growth through hardship. For me this is most important principle of all. We simply have to look to grow in all aspects of our live otherwise what is the point in living?

Principle 4: Exceed yourself to find your exceeding self: If you want to grow beyond what you are then you need to change your habits, body, mind and life. Do you know what you will get or become if you push yourself that little further. For me this is putting myself in uncomfortable situations in training, trying to grow through the hardship encountered. This can also be likened to when doing the pad training circuit and Martin tells us we will only become great during our most tired phases of activity and learn the most about what and who we are.
Principle 5: In order to heal, you need to feel: We need to get rid of the negativity inside us, face our fears and discomforts. Higher wisdom only comes through trials and tribulations.

Principle 6: Think less and be more: Essentially this is analysis paralysis, thinking things to death. This is about letting go mentally, drop the doubts and they will vanish, feel the fears and face them and they will fade. Let go and flow.

Principle 7: We are the sum total of our reactions: We 2 basic reactions to stressful stimulus – fight or flight, there is however a third and that is to breathe and relax. Be aware of the stressful situation and remain calm through breathing. So when in a grading or sparring a tough partner, stay present and breathe to create mental clarity.

Principle 8: Don’t try hard, try easy: Don’t use brute force, an add on from the previous principle. Breath and relax, let go, not of the effort but of the struggle. Ask these questions of yourself in training
• Where is my tension?
• What am I supposed to be doing?
• So, where can I let go more?
• Where can I struggle less?
• Where can I breath and relax whilst staying present?

No comments:

Post a Comment